Bacon Pizza With Caramelized Onions & Honey
Try out this non vegetarian recipe for a delicious meal idea. It's an amazing combination of bacon and honey. It's a easy yummy healthy recipe.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Large Yellow Onion
- 1 ½ Cup Slivered Almonds
- 4 Red Bell Peppers Roasted
- 7 Garlic Clove Minced
- ½ Tsp Dried Marjoram
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Agave Nectar
- 4 Cups Crookneck Squash Thinly Sliced
1. Preheat a heavy bottomed, preferably cast iron, skillet over low heat. Add the oil and the onions and toss the onions to coat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, leaving a little gap for steam to escape. Stir occasionally, every 5 minutes or so. Onions should turn a nice mellow amber, but not burn, although a couple of darker spots are fine.
2. Remove the cover and turn the heat up just a bit, to a medium setting. Stir often for 10 more minutes. Onions should become a darker amber, and some of the moisture should evaporate. Transfer to a bowl until ready to use.
3. Place your red pepper on a rimmed baking sheet, into a 425 F oven, and turn occasionally. They're ready when they're blackened and collapsed. Remove them from oven and immediately place in a paper bag. This will steam the skin off as they cool. Place in the fridge and once cool, remove from bag, peel off skin and remove seeds.
4. Now toast the almonds. Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium low heat. Spread the almonds out in a single layer and toast frequently until fragrant and honey brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer almonds to a food processor.
5. In the same pan over medium high heat, saute onions in olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes with a pinch of salt, until lightly browned. Add garlic, several dashes fresh black pepper, dried marjoram and salt, and saute for 30 seconds more, then turn off the heat.
6. Now pulse the almonds in the food processor until they're a finely ground powder. Add the roasted red peppers, the onion mixture and the red wine vinegar and agave nectar. Puree until fairly smooth. Taste for salt, and set aside until ready to use.
7.Preheat oven to 500 F. Roll dough out onto a large, lightly greased pizza pan. Spread a cup or so of romesco sauce onto the pizza. Place squash ribbons artfully over the sauce and drizzle with a little olive oil. Also, brush the crust with olive oil. Place pizza on the bottom of the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until crust is golden. Remove from oven, top with splotches of caramelized onion, sprinkle on some fresh black pepper if you like, slice and serve.
|Total Fat||6.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||8.2 g|